Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Latest Happenings...

Josiah is having a GREAT time in first grade! He absolutely loves school!! And I am sooo thankful for that! He told me today that each day gets a little harder and a little harder. I told him that was good because it meant that he was being challenged. I told him that if he wasn't learning new things, that he'd be bored all the time and that would not be any fun. He actually agreed. :-)

I guess everyone has heard of the happenings near his school yesterday. I was actually at the doctor's office when it happened. They had the TV on Fox News and I thought I heard them say "Lockdown" and "Lula Elementary School" in the same sentence. I am ashamed to say that I quickly dismissed what I thought I heard and went right back to reading my book thinking, "Surely they didn't say Lula Elementary." They finally called me back for my appointment and when I came out I checked my cell phone. I had SIX missed calls (very unusual for me). Anyway...one of the messages was my pa-in-law checking to see if I knew any more details about the "happenings at the school that morning." My first thought was, "OH MY GOODNESS. It WAS Lula Elementary School on Fox News!" So I went straight to the nurse's station and asked if they knew anything about it. She gave me the low down and I was very thankful that the school was never directly threatened in any way. In case you DON'T know the story, you can check out the following links for details.

http://www.accessnorthga.com/detail.php?n=212278
http://www.accessnorthga.com/detail.php?n=212295

Needless to say, I was quick to say a prayer of thanks to the good Lord in Heaven! Things like this really help you put life in perspective and see just how quick things can happen sometimes!

Josiah DID get his original cast off on Thursday and a smaller one put on. It was somewhat traumatizing for him since they had to cut it off with "the saw." For some reason the lady didn't prepare him very well ahead of time. She just kind of looked at him and didn't bother to reassure him until she realized he was kind of freaked out. Oh well...better late than never I guess. We go back to the Dr next week. I don't know if they'll take the cast off or just do more x-rays or what. They DID say that the bone in his arm is crooked but that it will straighten itself out within 6 months. She just wanted him to realize that his arm would NOT be straight whenever the cast comes off. I think it bothered him a little but he decided the 6 months was better than having it straightened out then! I think we made a good choice!

Elihu had his first visit with Dr. Waggoner (our dentist) today! He did GREAT! I was amazed at how well he did and was wondering if the body snatchers had traded my child when I wasn't looking. He did exactly what they told him to, opened his mouth when they told him to, chit-chatted with the hygienist, and was just generally an all-around obedient child. He didn't cry the first moment and only gagged a time or two (just like his dear mother and brother) :-)

He has adjusted pretty well to Josiah being back in school...it's almost like we were never even on summer break the way these two picked right back up to "school routine." They've been getting up great in the mornings, getting their clothes on without complaint, eating breakfast (well...halfway at least) and getting out the door without too much of a fuss. I just hope we continue in such a fashion!

One last thing before I go...I've been reading "Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World." I would most definitely recommend this book to any woman who is busy that has that desire to have some quiet time alone with the Lord. It has helped me tremendously and I'm not even finished with it yet! I'm trying to establish a quiet time in the mornings that is free from interruptions from the boys or the phone or before any of the "busy-ness" of the day sets in. It's been a struggle at times but I'm sticking with it. I heard a preacher say that he decided "No Bible, No Breakfast." I figure if we can all view our time with the Lord the same as our time for filling our tummies, that we would probably be reading our Bibles a LOT more than what we are. I DO eat every day and would not imagine skipping one single meal...much less a whole DAY of meals!

Please say a prayer for me that I'll be a consistent example for my boys and that I can be that "Holy Spirit of my home" that my heart desires to be.

1 comment:

ann_h1964@hotmail.com said...

Hey Katie, first of all you do set a good example for your boys. Sometimes you don't see things until they get older but, you can see the little things each and every day at their age. I was one of those that tried to call you about the school. Darryl finally got a hold of Shannon and I felt better.
I have read most of the book you are reading and it is so much like me. The reason I say that is because when my Moma got sick I felt like I had to be busy doing things when I wished I would have just sit down and visited with her more. not up and about doings things that didn't matter anyway. Oh well I have learned from that experience and will not let it happen again(oh and by the way my first name is Martha)
Please remember to say a pray for me. I'm battling a kidney stone and it doesn't seem to want to budge. I went to the hospital yesterday it is a 5mm but I passed one the night before bigger than that one. I'm in a lot of pain and on drugs. God bless you all, Ann