Friday, March 12, 2010

Stuck in the bathroom...

As soon as I laid Isaac down for his nap yesterday, I went to jump in the shower really quick. The boys were taking turns hiding/hunting eggs for each other in the living room. I made sure they knew where I was and that Isaac was asleep so they wouldn't be too loud. Our bathroom door "sticks" pretty often but it's usually no big deal. The door didn't want to close too well so I "helped" it a little with some hip action. :-) I proceeded to take a shower and get ready. When I went to open the door, it wouldn't BUDGE. I pulled with ALL my might. I turned the knob. I pulled down on the door as I tried to open it...I pushed up on the door as I tried to open it. NOTHING! I was starting to get a little stressed out because I couldn't get out of the bathroom. So, I called for the boys. No response. I called again...a little louder. No response. I finally had the bright idea to call the house phone with my cell phone in hopes that they would hear me leaving the message for them to PICK UP THE PHONE! Still no response. I'm thinking, "Great. I'm gonna have to call my Daddy to come and open this goofy bathroom door so that I can get out of here." I then think of the little window in our bathroom. Hmmmm...I do believe I can fit through there. So I proceed to move the stool over to the window and "hike it up" as my mama would say. I quickly realize that there's no getting out that window going forward because my legs are too long to bend the right way. So I have to back myself out of the window. Talk about skills!! Ha! I finally make it out the window and onto the back porch (for those of you who've never been to our house, we have a back porch that is only accessed from inside the house. Our frosted bathroom window just so happens to access the same porch). I finally make it out and go over to the double doors to see just what the boys are doing and why they can't hear me calling or hear the message on the answering machine (which is in the kitchen). I peak in to see them both completely and totally absorbed in watching a video. I knock on the door and Elihu doesn't even flinch. He is completely oblivious. I knock several more times and finally see Josiah peak around the corner with this "What in the world?" look on his face. He looks at me then like I've truly lost my mind. I point to the door and then to the knob, gesturing for him to come open it. They had NO IDEA that I had called for them on the answering machine. I even played the message back for them and could tell they did NOT hear it. They thought it was a little funny to say the least and wished they could've seen me crawling out the window. I managed to get the door open on just the 2nd try...it's amazing what you can do with a door when you can PUSH on it rather than PULL on it!!

Elihu has (obviously) been having hearing problems...even before my hollering-from-the-bathroom episode. He's had ear infection after ear infection over the past 3 months or so. We went back this week to the doctor so they could do a hearing test. They had to give it time for the last ear infection to clear up. Well, guess what? ANOTHER double ear infection. So, as expected, she recommended he see an ear/nose/throat specialist. That doctor said that he needs to have his adenoids removed and tubes put in and that he also needs a tonsillectomy. His tonsils looked HORRIBLE. I didn't figure I'd know much about it one way or the other when the doctor wanted to show them to me...but even I could tell they did not look good! So he's scheduled for surgery on the 24th. He's actually kind of excited about it. I think he's so glad that he's going to be able to hear well again. He's a little nervous about the IV and how he'll feel afterward.

I got them to check Isaac's ears as well while we were at the doctor. He'd been pretty grumpy and ill...not like him at all! Sure enough, he had another ear infection, too. I'm afraid he's going to be next on the tubes. This is his 3rd ear infection in just 3 or 4 months time. One more and I figure they'll be sending him, too.

I was on and off the phone with the hospital yesterday about the upcoming surgery details. I guess I wasn't expecting it to cost QUITE so much out of pocket. I'm so thankful for insurance but MY GOODNESS!! We're going to be poor by the time these boys are 18 or 20! We've already spent close to $500 in the past 3 or 4 months JUST on co-pays and meds for those two. I don't know how much more our pocketbook can stand!?! But thankfully God knew that all this was going to happen WAY before this week. Nothing takes Him by surprise. Nothing catches Him off guard. How awesome is THAT!! I just have to remember to trust Him with all my cares and worries...after all, the Bible does say, "Casting all your care upon Him; for He careth for you." 1st Peter 5:7

Don't forget to change your clocks this weekend!!

1 comment:

Brittany said...

Love the story about the door Katie! Isn't hilarious how boys/men become so absored in the television that they can hear nothing else?! I totally can relate to THAT! LOL

We'll be remembering the boys and their ears, and Elihu's surgery!

Love ya!