We went to the funeral home Friday night, giving the boys our usual "funeral home" spiel. Don't point, don't talk loudly, be nice and respectful and quiet, etc. They did really good. Elihu only pointed a few times. Josiah walked right up to the casket and looked inside. Not too bad.
We got in the car and Josiah said, "Mama? When so-and-so (he was speaking of his "girlfriend" who, by the way, is a senior in high school and is probably 6 feet tall) dies in that dead bed (speaking of the casket), did you know that her feet will hang out the end because she's so tall?"
It was all I could do to keep from laughing my head off. He was dead serious, too. (Sorry. No pun intended). What made it even funnier is that I think he thinks that when you die, you hop into that "dead bed" to actually die. I know all this really shouldn't be all that funny to me because of the seriousness of the subject. But I guess kids have a way of making matters lighter that we adults have a hard time with.
No comments:
Post a Comment