I got home from picking the boys up at school, and we started on Josiah's homework. I told him we couldn't go outside and play with Rosco until we finished it (we didn't do so great the last couple of days on homework b/c we got too busy playing outside in the pretty weather).
Josiah was finishing up his homework and Elihu had went outside to let Rosco out. Evidently Rosco started jumping all over Elihu b/c he was so excited to see somebody. It was really stressing Elihu out and I could hear him hollering for me. As I went around the corner of the house to check on him, I heard the phone ring. I got Elihu, scolded Rosco, and went back inside to check the phone. It was a message from our neighbor saying that our cows were in the road.
Great.
So I yell at Josiah to get his shoes on and we all run get on the 5-wheeler. We make it about halfway out the driveway (remember, we have a pretty looooong driveway) and I see the cows heading our way back up the driveway. So I turn around and head up to the barn pad (we have to call it the barn pad b/c there's no actual barn there yet). I go into the pasture and start calling the cows. They start heading my way and then the bloomin' things stop at the gate and just look at me. I call. I call. I call again.
Nadda.
I finally head back out the gate, get a stick and try to drive them back into the pasture. Driving 4 cows and a calf back into a pasture is about like trying to play defense all by yourself against another whole basketball team. The calf and 3 of the cows finally went back in and the 4th just looked at me. I ran got some feed, poured it into the trough and the other cows came running over. The other cow just looked. I went back out with my stick and shoo-ed her around toward the gate. She finally went back in and I closed the gate. Hooray for me! I did it!!
The electric fence was not working too hot anyway, but Shannon realized when he got home that the fence was down at the creek. So he fixed the fence, checked the charger and made sure it was "hot." We finally ate supper about 8:30 last night. Ugh.
BUT the fence is fixed, the cows are IN (at least for now), and I have a cow success to blog about...makings for another great day!
3 comments:
I am so proud of you girl. That would even stress me out. Good job, way to go. Remember this is just the beginning.
Woohoo! Aren't cows great? I remember doing the same thing many a time when I lived down on Pea Ridge! :) I had to "fix up" the fence one time myself one summer when daddy and moma were at work - interesting.... :) We had a bull who wouldn't stay in the pasture, so I nailed up a board above the fence where he was jumping out since he did it more than once. Those cows will grow on you. Most of them are just big ole' pets! :)
Wow. I am so impressed! You can add "cow wrangling" to your long list of talents.
Post a Comment