I remember her going to sing at the nursing home. The old people always freaked me out a little, but we went anyway. I think I actually got used to it after awhile. I also remember her going to sing at another nursing home/assisted living home with Grandma & Grandpa. I've always thought she has the most beautiful voice! You can't get her to sing a solo but she could in a heartbeat if she just would.
I remember her helping some of her elderly friends clean their house when they weren't able to do it themselves because of sickness or something.
I remember her making us cakes on our birthdays. She said she thought they looked pitiful but I don't ever remember them looking pitiful. I thought they were the most beautiful cakes ever.
I remember her singing "Til the Storm Passes By" in the car when we'd be heading to town or to Grandma's. She sang a lot when we were little...in the car, around the house...
I remember her always being a visit-er...by that I mean she always visited people. If there were elderly people in our church or anyone who was sick, she has always been faithful to make sure they were checked in on. When she & Daddy did the youth group at church, they always took the youth group to see the elderly members...just to visit them and tell them hello. They also took us to sing at the nursing homes.
I remember her coming to my parties at school and it always made my day. I was proud to get to show her off to my friends.
I remember her making us pull weeds every summer. I absolutely HATED it then, but I guess I've learned to appreciate it now. :-) I've learned from her how to take care of my own yard and how to do things around the house. I'm still learning things like that from her!
I remember her coming to probably every single basketball game I ever played in...even down to Greene County where I didn't even get to play 1 full minute!
I remember how I couldn't WAIT to get off the bus from camp so I could tell her & Daddy I'd got saved at camp that week. I had been asking her questions and didn't really understand her answers. But when I got saved, I understood exactly what she'd been telling me!
I remember her rolling my hair on Sundays so that I could have curls! I never wanted her to comb it out because I was afraid it would make the curls go away.
I remember being disgusted with guys...that there didn't seem to be anyone good left to date...and her telling me not to worry...that I'd meet the right one!
I remember her having me moved out of a class in high school and into another teacher's class because that teacher was out of order and rude to me.
I remember her going to Gainesville on my wedding day (right before the wedding!) to get part of my wedding dress. The place didn't put it with the rest of our stuff when we picked it up. I think she made it there and back in about 15 minutes!
I remember her being mad when we didn't call from our honeymoon that day. There was no phone in our cabin and we didn't find one until the next day. She was a little aggravated to say the least.
I remember her cleaning my house for me sometimes when I was in college. I was working and going to school and was pretty stressed out. I'd come home to that wonderful "clean house" smell and just smile!
I remember her driving me to school in Dahlonega one day because I was too sick to drive myself. I had a final to take and the teacher wouldn't let me take it later.
I remember how excited she was when Josiah and Elihu were born...and what a good Mema she's been to them!
I remember calling her when they were babies to ask her what was normal and what to do about this or that and feeling better after I talked to her about it!
And now we're friends and can pretty much talk about anything, anytime. I'm so thankful to have a mama that has always cared for me, about me, and about what I do. I hope she has a very Happy Mother's Day weekend!
I love you, Mama!
3 comments:
Wow! You are such a great daughter. : ) I think it is really cool that you posted this blog about Mama. Yes, she is a great mama and is a woman of many talents. I love you too, Mama!
Oh My! I would like to meet this woman you are praising so highly! I thought you had forgotten all those things I did for you..........:) Having good daughters made it easy to be a good Mama. Thanks to both of you for my supper, the lavendar, and the DVD. I love you both dearly!
Mama
Tears in my eyes! Aren't mothers a blessing from the Lord? :) What a sweet post, Katie. I know this touched your mama's heart!
Post a Comment