Saturday, June 14, 2008

To My Daddy...

He has never ever been afraid to cry in front of us and has never been ashamed of his tears. He has an emotional heart and a wonderful, sensitive spirit.

I remember him taking us on an airboat ride when we went to the Okefenokee. I know it was expensive because he didn't even tell Mama how much it cost! It sure was fun!

I remember how excited he was when I played basketball. It didn't matter how well I played, how many mistakes I made, or if I even got to play at all. I always knew him & mama were proud of me.

I've never heard my daddy say a bad word.

He always let me "fix" his hair when we'd watch TV at night. He'd sit in the floor and I'd sit up on the couch with my legs hanging down over his shoulders. I'd put hairbows in it, fix it like Elvis, and comb it over to the other side. We even took a few pictures! :-)

I remember him helping me with my homework. We'd sit at the table and he'd help me work through the math problems. He wouldn't do them FOR me, but he'd help me figure them out.

I remember him asking me my spelling words when I went to the State Spelling Bee. There's no telling how many words we went over and over and over!

I remember how fun it was when we'd go to Pigeon Forge. Amy & Mama would always go shopping and Daddy & I would always go "play." One time we went to the amusement park. Another time we went to the water park. Sometimes we'd just play in the pool for hours.

I remember getting off the bus from camp and telling them I'd gotten saved and how excited and happy they were!

I remember him teaching me how to make those crazy noises with my armpit. Who says he needed a son? Ha!

I remember watching him shave ever so intently. When I'd take a bath, I'd make my washcloth into a razor of sorts and I'd try to shave like him. (I actually DID shave like him one day and cut my lip. I don't think I tried to use the real razor any more after that!)

I remember telling a lie one time (yes, just one time. Ha!) I'm sure Daddy knew I'd lied. He didn't get mad...he just sat me down and told me the verse in the Bible that says God hates a lying tongue. He explained that God doesn't hate the person...he just hates it when they lie. I remember being so heartbroken that I'd lied. I had disappointed Daddy AND God.

I remember him trying to put hairbows in my hair. It was pretty pathetic really...but he tried. He'd pull it over to the side and just kind of stick the hairbow in it. It wasn't really holding any hair...just kind of stuck there.

I remember doing things in church...like testifying or singing...and looking back and seeing him back there crying. And happy.

I remember a crucial point in my life. (Everything is crucial when you're a teenager). I remember Daddy telling me the quote, "You can please some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all the people all the time." That helped me more then than he'll ever know.

I remember how mad he got when he found out some inappropriate things a man had said to me. I thought he was going to go kill him right then. He has always been protective of his girls!

I remember how silly he would act when he would come to our class parties at school. All my friends loved him. They always thought he was hilarious. He'd sit up in the rocking chair at the front of the class and ask who wanted to sit in Santa's lap next. He'd fold up his ear and act like nothing weird was going on. I was never embarrassed by either of my parents!

He has always worked hard...at work AND at home. He was always building something...either out of wood or blocks or something. He always has little projects going.

I remember him picking us up from school early one day. He took us to the river and we swung from a rope into the water. I thought it was wonderful!

I remember him witnessing to a man that he knew was not saved. He had come to do some work at our house. I didn't realize how hard it was for him to go out there and talk to him. (Now I understand completely.) The man wasn't saved that day...but thankfully has been since then!

I remember him being one of the few tenors in the church choir when I was really small. You could always hear him sing out on that song, "Is It Well?" I've always thought he has a nice voice. I was always proud to hear him sing out. I wish he wouldn't be so paranoid now about his voice. He has a good one! (and Mama, too)

I remember my wedding day. He was about to give me away and he leaned down, gave me a kiss on my cheek, and told me how he loved me. I'm surprised I didn't just lose it all right then! Somehow, though, I held it together! :-)

I remember lots of things we were not allowed to wear and do because Daddy didn't think they were appropriate for HIS daughters. I probably didn't understand it very good then, but I'm sure thankful now.

I remember how impressed I was when he taught himself some things on the guitar. He would practice sitting on the side of their bed in their room.

I remember how calm he was when I almost got a ticket. I dreaded telling him, but the policeman said he was going to call my Daddy and that I'd better tell him first. He was actually very calm and said that if I DID get a ticket, that I would have to pay for it. Lesson learned.

I remember him coming over in the middle of the night because I "heard a noise." Shannon and I were married and he was out of town. Thankfully it was nothing, but I sure was glad Daddy came.

If he was ever in the area, he would always come eat lunch with me. I was working in Oakwood at the time and going to college. Sometimes Amy would get to go, too. Those were fun days!

I always remember him studying on Saturday nights for his Sunday School lesson. He's always taught a class...at least off and on over the years. He's a great teacher and he loves the job!

I remember hearing him speak for the Gideons and thinking how much heart he always put into it.

I can't even begin to name all the projects he's helped me with and the projects he's done for me! He's hung pictures, made shelves, built closets, painted, wired, kept the boys, moved pianos, fixed pegboard, made picture frames, picked up things for me in his truck, hauled my yard sale "treasures," and gazillions of other things! But hey, that's what daddies are for. Right? Right.

I usually don't do a very good job of telling people (in person) just how much I love them. But Daddy, I sure do love you! And I appreciate all these "little" things you do. Thank you for making all these sweet memories.

Happy, Happy Father's Day!

2 comments:

Brittany said...

What a sweet tribute to your daddy. You should take those thoughts that you posted for your mama and daddy and print them on some nice paper and maybe frame them and give them to them. That would be sweet! (You may have already done it, but it's just a thought!) :)

How was Josiah's big birthday?!?!?

Katie said...

I actually did THINK about that! But I haven't done it. I need to though! Josiah had a great birthday! Thanks for asking!