Monday, July 21, 2008

Our Eventful Saturday Afternoon!

I was at the computer sorting through some papers. Elihu was asleep in his bed and Josiah & Shannon had gone down to get the horses so they could saddle up and ride. They hadn't been outside too long when I heard Josiah start screaming. I figured he'd gotten into fire ants or something (they can't seem to stay away from those things). I heard Shannon say, "Just don't look at it." Then I thought, "Oh, no. Blood." When they got into the garage, I opened the door and Josiah was still screaming and Shannon had "that look" on his face. He nodded down toward Josiah and that's when I saw his arm. Broken! I've never broken a bone and I've never even SEEN a broken bone until then. It looked pretty bad! I grabbed my pocketbook and some ice and we loaded him into the car. Shannon's a "pass-outer" if you know what I mean...so I drove! He sat in the back with our screaming child. Ben & Lela were on their way to stay with Elihu.

On the way to the hospital Shannon broke out in a cold sweat and almost passed out twice! Poor Josiah was crying and I was trying to drive as fast and as safely as I could. Josiah said he wasn't riding horses any more that he was going to ride IN CARS! He wanted to pray on the way...but I figured with him screaming and Shannon about to pass out that I need to focus all my faculties on driving. So I said quiet prayers and told him that as soon as we got inside we'd definitely pray out loud then!

We got checked in and went right in. Shannon almost passed out again when they started Josiah's medicine port in his arm. The nurses got him something to drink and a wet cloth for his head! They gave Josiah some medicine and took some x-rays. Of course it was definitely broken completely...both bones in his left arm. I made Shannon go out in the hall when the Dr came in to fix it. He put it back in place and put a splint on it. Josiah wasn't awake but you could tell he definitely felt what they were doing. His body came up off that bed and he writhed around and cried out a little. I wasn't expecting that! I thought he'd be dead to the world. Anyway...he'll wear the splint for 8-10 days and then he'll get a cast. The Dr is supposed to call me sometime this afternoon for details about all that.

Once they got him fixed up and he woke back up, he didn't remember anything. He felt MUCH better and we got to go home before much longer! He had a great night Saturday night and had a good day yesterday. It started hurting him some last night. We've been trying to keep the medicine in him...at least for the first couple of days.

We'll see what the week holds!?!? Maybe we can keep him immobile enough to keep from hurting it again before the cast is put on!

1 comment:

Brittany said...

Oh my word! I had NO idea! I'm surprised I haven't heard about that yet! Well, we'll be keeping Josiah and the whole family in our prayers since I know it will affect everyone. I remember when Ashley broke her arm when she was in kindergarten at the skating rink. What an event! Give Josiah a get well hug for me! The joys and dramas of being a parent!

Poor Shannon!!! Andy is the SAME way. Thank God I'm not or we'd be in trouble! Sounds like you were mothering two at the time on the way to the hospital.

Mercy! Way to go Katie for keeping her cool! Supermom saves the day again! :)