Saturday, April 4, 2009

Broken TVs & Easter Egg Hunts

Sunday afternoon started out UNeventful enough. I had laid down to rest for awhile and Shannon had gone out to feed Rosco. The boys were playing in their rooms and such until Shannon got back. I had been asleep for about 30 minutes when I was awakened by the loudest crash I've ever heard in our house! I jumped up and was halfway down the hall before I even knew I was awake yet! When I got to the living room, a lovely site met my eyes. There stood Elihu visibly shaking, Josiah was crying and rubbing his head, and there lay our TV face down in the floor. I fought back the urge to be MAD AS FIRE to make sure my babies were okay. Then the story unfolded...they had opened up the cabinet that the TV was sitting on and Elihu evidently thought it was a good idea to SIT on the door of the cabinet...thus making the entire cabinet turn over. Josiah barely got out of the way but it did hit him...thankfully he was okay. Poor Elihu was shaking all over. I realized it was an accident (even though a DUMB accident I thought) but nevertheless, an accident. So, I went and called for Shannon because I knew I couldn't pick the TV up by myself. He came in and was also surprisingly calm. He got the TV back on the cabinet. There was a big hole in the upper corner of the TV and a big gouge out of our lovely hardwood floor. It had literally yanked the DIVX player out (which will need new cables) and smashed the other end of the cable up into the TV (non-retrievable). So...we proceeded to get everything put back together as much as we could, turn the TV on, and much to our delight the movie started playing! Or so we thought. You can WATCH tv...you just can't HEAR it. So...we've been without TV for a week now. We thought it would be good for the boys to not have it for awhile so they can see that there are consequences to the choices we make (we'd already discussed consequences at length not too long before this happened).

In all actuality, I don't know that they've really missed it so much yet. Elihu has asked to watch it a few times...but they have been quite (surprisingly) content without it. They have definitely been into computer games a lot more....almost too much...but I have been trying to limit that as well (so they're not sitting there for hours staring at the computer either). And, as most of you know, we haven't really had "TV" for 5 years now. When we moved into the house, we couldn't get cable like we'd had before and the other things like satellite were still a little out of our price range. So we decided that it was videos and DVDs for us!

Sunday was a great day other than the TV episode. Shannon preached Sunday morning for our Youth Sunday and did a great job (I'm probably a littled biased though). We also had the junior choir to sing and also the youth choir. They all did an awesome job!! I think there were 3 of the little kids that sang solos. It was really sweet! We also had a few of our preteens/teenagers that had been practicing solos, too. They all sang them Sunday morning. We were so proud of ALL of them!! Everyone in the church was so amazed at how well they did!

Wednesday night we had another youth choir practice. We learned a couple of more new songs! One of the songs we thought would take them a few practice sessions before they got it...but Man! They picked it right up...you'd have thought we'd already practiced it 2 or 3 times before then! It's an awesome song, too. They really liked it. I had JUST learned it on Wednesday so it was just amazing how it all fell together.

Thursday was the boys' Easter egg hunts and parties at school. Of course they were at the SAME time on the SAME day. Thankfully, Shannon was able to take off. He went to Elihu's party and I went to Josiah's party. They both had a great time!! They've been hiding eggs for each other in the house ever since. They had as much fun opening the eggs as they did hunting them (to see what prizes and candies were inside)!!

Oh! I have another funny to tell, too! Wednesday night at church Heather came up to me to tell me what the boys had said on Sunday (I apologized before she even started b/c I could only imagine what it could be). :-) She said she was in the nursery changing her little girl's diaper. I told her to stop right there b/c I knew what was coming! I quickly explained that they had never seen "girl parts"...even on a baby...and that I was sorry for whatever they said!! She just laughed and said it was not a big deal. She said they came in and of course were pretty curious as to what was going on at the changing table. She said that as soon as she went to change her diaper, the boys pointed and said, "Look! I see Allie's birth canal!!" I laughed my head off!!

They have been pretty curious as to how THIS baby is going to "get out" of my tummy and WHERE it's going to come out at. I know everyone tells you to "call it what it is" but that is SO hard to do sometimes. Thankfully Shannon had jumped in with the "birth canal" word and I was so relieved. I was thinking, "Way to go, Shannon!" That's a word you don't MIND them saying out in public or wherever! So when they said that about little Allie, I couldn't help but laugh! Could you imagine if they'd screamed out, "I see Allie's vagina!" Now THAT would've been horrible and not-so-laugh-worthy!

We're making good progress on the bonus room closets!! The Ritchies came last night and ate supper with us. Me & Rena hung out with the kids and Chris & Shannon went to building! Shannon says he more or less "holds" and "locates" and that Chris definitely does all the building! He's doing a great job and the closets are really turning out nicely!! We've only got about 12 more weeks before the baby gets here so I'm hoping to start getting things where they go!! Chris said he hoped to be finished in just another 3 or 4 more hours! Yay!!! Rena brought a chocolate eclair dessert last night and all I can say is YUMMMM! It definitely hit the spot and I think it was good for the baby. :-)

Well, it's a beautiful day outside...the first pretty day in DAYS...and here I sit working at Satchel. At least I can catch up on my blogging! Are your eyes tired of reading yet??

Okay...I'm done.

1 comment:

Brittany said...

A good read. Funny stories! Birth canal - good cover Shannon! :) Miss you and AC3. Tell the boys I said hello.