The beauty of having perennials is that they come back each year. They also establish a hearty root system which is good...but NOT if you're trying to dig them up and divide them! I've been dividing my hostas that are right there in front of the porch. I think there are about 17 or 18 across through there. Last year they were HUGE! I divided them when we moved there 4 years ago and haven't divided them since. I SHOULD'VE divided them last year, but I never took the time to do it. Now, I'm trying to divide them while they're coming up...BEFORE they get even huge-er. They looked soooo good last year though...I just hate to mess with them! But they can't get any bigger!!!
The boys thought it was funny to watch me. I would dig up the whole thing first. Then, I would work on dividing it with my shovel. I had to put my shovel in place and literally JUMP up onto the shovel with all my might to get the crazy things to separate. It's a good thing it was next to the porch b/c I had to use the porch rail to keep from falling. I'm sure that's a lovely mental picture. Like I said, they definitely had some hearty roots going. Those little roots were like orphan brothers and sisters...they were not gonna let go of each other without a fight.
I plan to sell all my new pots of hosta whenever I get them all divided...it may take me another whole YEAR just to divide the crazy things! Ugh. I worked on them a little last night...didn't have too much time though. I divided three. Three! Sounds pitiful doesn't it? It took me over an hour just to divide those three. But I got 11 or 12 pots of hosta just from those few! Maybe I didn't butcher them too bad.
I'm still learning all this stuff.
No comments:
Post a Comment