Monday, September 29, 2008

You might be a redneck if...

...you keep rocks and a slingshot on your kitchen counter to hit the escapee goats when they get out of the pasture...or rather hit AT them. I have hit them a few times, but I generally miss more times than I actually hit. They usually get out near the propane tank so I just hit the tank and scare the living moo-moo out of 'em. It's great fun and it's easily accessible out my kitchen window. Wonderful.

Now on to more constructive activities...

Josiah got his report card on Thursday and I am very proud to report that he had excellent marks and great comments from his teacher. I was extra proud when I saw it! He's really getting into the whole math thing (I know that will make YOU proud, Brittany). He wants to do math problems and word problems ALL the time. We're constantly making up things for him to figure out. He loves it! He's REALLY enjoying drawing and writing, too. His spelling is hilarious. Sometimes it's all I can do to not laugh my head off. He spells things EXACTLY how they sound...like Jon Dir Chractr or Bruthr Donl (our pastor Bro. Donald) or Chrint (a guy at our church named Trent). Every single time we get in the car, he pulls out that notebook first thing and starts asking me & Shannon what we want him to draw or write. He's getting much better about the whole drawing thing. His first-born tendencies really come out when he gets to a point and realizes that he CAN'T draw a picture so he scribbles out the entire thing. I highly recommend "The New Birthorder Book" if you've never read it. It's written by Kevin Leman and really opens your eyes to your OWN birth order and how to deal with your family and friends according to THEIR birth order. It really helped me in dealing with Josiah...just in understanding WHY he does some of the things he does. It's so weird to see things in print that are EXACTLY what your child does. Uncanny! Of course there are exceptions to all rules but overall, the book hit the nail on the head for me! I need to read it again...it's been a couple of years.

We took the boys bike riding Friday night over to Satchel. It's fenced in, paved, has lighting for when it gets dark and it's owned by family! What more could you ask for in a biking spot? They had an absolute BALL! Josiah was going down one of the allies one time and the lights blinked off. He came around the corner and said, "Man! Those lights just went off and freaked the creep outta me." It was soo funny! They're always coming up with something crazy to say.

I hear everyone has really enjoyed the testicle story in my previous post. That's great! I'm sure there are other stories I should've posted that I have forgotten about.

Saturday we took the youth group to Jaemor. They got to go on a hay ride and pick which corn maze they wanted to do (small or large). They also had face painting, apple sling shot, pedal cars, a moonwalk, etc. The kids really had a great time. It was pretty hot, but thankfully it didn't pour down rain on us like we thought it was going to. Christie fixed sack lunches for all 41 of us and we completely filled up a whole line of tables. We had a good turnout and everyone behaved so good. Shannon and I were a little stressed out at times but not too bad. We managed to get them all back on the bus in one piece without losing anybody.

Josiah's 1st field trip was cancelled this week because of the fuel problem. He was put out but I think he actually understood. After Shannon and I drove to over 10 gas stations yesterday looking for gas, I think he realized a little bit of what's really going on. I hope it eases up soon! I don't know how much more everyone can take. Shannon said that the gas station out from where he works has had a line all day...about 1/4 mile long. They'll probably be out, too, at the rate things are going.

I'm signing off now. I need to get some clothes out of the dryer and clean up on the kitchen. I canned a few beans today and still haven't got my mess totally put away yet.

Hope your week's a good one and that your travels are blessed with a handy "gasful" gas station.

2 comments:

Brittany said...

Way to go Josiah! Keep those word problems a comin'! I am PROUD of him! YAY! I'm sure his Nana is too!

The gas situation is bad, but thankfully Oakwood has still been doing fair. Praise the Lord I found gas this morning! Praise the Lord He still supplies all of my needs!

ann_h1964@hotmail.com said...

Hey Katie, we saw y'all at the Satchel's and wondered what y'all were doing and now we know. I think that was pretty funny what Josiah had to say. You just never know what a country girl might do when it comes to having fun......Ha!Ha!